Washington Apple Crop Facts
Harvest of Washington apples begins in mid-August and generally ends in early November. Each year, the state apple crop destined for the fresh market is estimated over 100 million boxes... Learn More
Grades and Sizing at a Glance
Washington State apples are subjected to the most stringent grading standards in the country. In 1915, the state established the first grade standards in the nation for apples. The U.S. Department of Agriculture adopted... Learn More
Care and Handling
- Selection: An apple's skin should be shiny, not dull. This tip's important ... dull appearing apples won't be crisp and tasty.
- Your apples should be firm and free of bruises and punctures... Learn More
Washington Apple History
In the fertile valleys and plateaus of America's far west, growers tend orchards that produce the world's best apples... Learn More
Controlled Atmosphere Storage (CA)
Eating crisp, juicy Washington apples year-round is possible due to controlled atmosphere storage. Known simply as "CA" in the industry, controlled atmosphere storage involves careful control of temperature, oxygen, carbon dioxide and humidity. CA storage got its start in England... Learn More
Washington apples are known worldwide for their beauty and crunch. One of the reasons these apples are able to maintain their attractiveness and quality during transport and marketing... Learn More
Growers in Washington State work continually to reduce their use of pesticides. Like other farmers around the country, orchardists are trying to control pest damage by working with, rather than against nature. Growers are relying more and more... Learn More
Did you know?
- More than half of all apples grown in the United States for fresh eating come from orchards in Washington state.
- One apple has five grams of fiber, supplying 20 percent of the daily fiber recommendation.
- Washington apples are sold in all 50 states and more than 50 countries.
- Americans eat approximately 19 pounds of fresh apples annually, compared to about 46 pounds consumed annually by residents of European countries.